Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Week 6

Philosophy of Youth Work

I think that defining Youth Work into 3 subsystems is a positive aid in understanding the kind of ways to approach working with youth. Of the three kinds of youth work, Risk, Resiliency and Prevention, Positive Youth Development and Critical Youth Development there is much room for growth and assistance. However, I do find that there is much underneath all 3 subsystems. Each youth work holds an importance, such as Risk and Resiliency that is looking out to help a group of children that may need guidance to a positive path. While Critical Youth Development seems to look at how situations around us can be improved upon because there is awakes room for improvement.  As for the presence of Positive Youth Development, I am not entirely sure of its importance. 

With the subsystems, the Ideology Horoscope does seem to help a bit. I feel that I do fit under the Critical Youth Development umbrella as I am always thinking on how to work with others where a harmony can be located between all involved. The orientation of Critical youth work is about keeping your group of youth focused on how to make difference in the community. I find that because I like to think of the "why" the "how can this be done" is right behind in my toolbox. It reminds me of the saying "if there is a will, there is a way." This concept of work with youth reminds me the respect given by social work professors, we are allowed to refer to them by their first name. A professor I currently have stated that we are deserve a sense of respect no matter what our degree status is. My professor holds a sense of respect for the class as he can see we are invested in our learning so we can grow as learners. 

One section of the Ideology Inventory that stuck a chord was the part one, the purpose. It asked importance of a supportive space, significance of improvement to build upon skills and talents and how youth should cope to exterior and intrinsic occurrences. I thought of Maslow's hierarchy of needs because the first and most important needs that must be met are basic such as housing, clothing and food. If a group of youth want to make a difference they need a space to gather. Before youth learn to build upon their skills such as talents, they need to have the ability to formulate positive attitudes about themselves and others as well as their physical surroundings. I think that rings true to the maslow's hierarchy because feeling connected to yourself, people around you and your home is so important because it gives you a sense of belongingness. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Youth need confidence and positive attitudes to be successful!

    ReplyDelete